It seems like everywhere you turn, someone is trying their
hand at being an entrepreneur. It gives you a moment of pause to consider
whether or not you have the successful characteristics needed to be an
entrepreneur.
In fact, LendingTree ran a survey with Qualtrics of 1,067
Americans in 2018 and found roughly two-thirds thought about starting a
business in the previous 12 months.
While most people in the survey claim a lack of start up
capital for being the biggest reason for not taking that big leap, I have to
question whether or not that’s true.
The Real Reasons People Don’t Become An Entrepreneur
In my more than forty years of experience in business, I
have found that it’s not a lack of money that stops people from Characteristics of an Entrepreneur. Rather they lack certain characteristics required of an entrepreneur.
After all, if it were easy, everyone would do it.
I believe most people could be an entrepreneur, but won’t.
Most people won’t put in the time, energy and commitment it takes to be a successful business owner.
And that’s OK. Not everyone needs to be a business owner.
But if you’re wondering if you have what it takes to be successful at
entrepreneurship, consider the following nine statements.
If you read these nine statements and don’t feel that they
represent you, then maybe it's time to take the leap.
9 Characteristics of an Entrepreneur
1. You don’t have thick skin.
- Chances
are you’ve been thinking about starting a business for awhile. You may
have told a few close friends about your “crazy idea” but for the most
part, you have chosen to keep this dream to yourself.
- Eventually,
however, you will need to let the world know. And not everyone is going to
share your enthusiasm.
- You
might have family and friends who support you every day with personal
problems that will suddenly show you a different part of their personality
when you discuss starting a business: fear.
- Maybe
they have tried to start a business and failed. Or possibly they live
under the false sense of security a job provides and think climbing the
corporate ladder is a guaranteed path to safety.
- Either
way, you will face criticism faster—and harsher—than you expect. How you
handle it will make all the difference.
2. You don’t like being “connected.”
- If
you think living the life of an introvert will allow you to become a
successful entrepreneur, you may want to think again.
- You’ll
be living and breathing your new company every moment of the day while you
try to educate everyone you come in contact with about your business.
- 24/7
takes on a whole new meaning when you open your doors. No longer are quick
5-minute breaks spent scrolling your Facebook or Instagram feeds looking
at updates from your family. Now, the time spent on the very same social
networks will be spent answering customer service complaints and trolling
your competition looking for ways to improve your business.
- Though
you won’t need to be the life of the party, you will definitely need to
get more comfortable in your own skin.
3. You need praise.
- There
has been a disturbing trend in youth activities the last few years where
all participants receive trophies. These awards are given to anyone who
participates in the given activity like little league baseball or pee-wee
football.
- As
adults, we know that’s not how life works. There are winners, and then
there are losers.
- Think
about your average day at work. How many times a day do you hear, “That’s
awesome!” or “Great job,” or “That’s soooo good?”
- It
seems everyone has been trained to give positive feedback almost as if on
autopilot.
- Unfortunately,
you won’t receive this type of praise as an entrepreneur.
- Similar
to statement number 1 above, you need to keep all criticism in context.
Some people will love your product, others won’t.
- Regardless,
if you have done your research and have built a business around solving a
legitimate problem, eventually you’ll receive your just rewards.
4. You need external motivation.
- Another
characteristic of an entrepreneur is the ability to set your own tasks and
accomplish them.
- You
won’t arrive at work with a set list of expectations you’re to accomplish
by days end.
- Whatever
gets done (or doesn’t) is entirely up to you.
- When
I was in boot camp preparing for my brief career in the military, I
received all the external motivation I could handle. From fellow recruits
taking turns leading our troup through our daily training regime to the
ever present drill sergeant, there was no shortage of people making sure I
was doing what I should be doing, how I should be doing it and where I
should be doing it.
- You
are your own drill sergeant when you become a business owner.
- Do
you have what it takes to give the orders and follow them?
5. You like to stay in your comfort zone.
- One
characteristic of an entrepreneur that is often overlooked is the ability
to wear multiple hats.
- Most
people who dream about being an entrepreneur focus on the technical
mastery they’re providing. They feel that a decade of writing or baking or
carpentry experience is the proof they have what it takes to run a
successful business.
- That’s
never the case. A successful entrepreneur needs to understand accounting,
sales, legal protection, taxes, customer service, and a slew of other
things to turn their technical mastery into business success.
6. You need to be right.
- We
were taught in school that there is only one right answer. There is one
side to history, one way to solve a math problem and one way to be
successful in life. And when it is time to test your knowledge you either
know the answers on the exam or you don’t. If you try to look elsewhere for
the answer it's considered cheating.
- But
real life doesn’t work like that. In real life, “cheating” is called
teamwork. If you don’t like to work as a team, you are often considered a
“know-it-all” and no one wants to work with you.
- To better explain this, I want to use a diagram my rich dad taught me called the CASHFLOW® Quadrant.
- The
CASHFLOW Quadrant shows how the four types of people and the different
ways they make money.
- On
the left side are the Es (employee) and Ss (small business owner). They
value security above all else. There are similar characteristics between
Es and Ss, namely they both get paid for their time.
- On
the right side of the diagram are the Bs (big business owner) and Is
(investor). Unlike Es and Ss who make money in exchange for their time,
people on this side of the quadrant make money through other people’s time
and money. They create assets that generate passive income.
- What
does this have to do with being right?
- Similar
to the previous point about staying in your comfort zone, highly-paid Es
and successful Ss always have to be right. They were probably the first
person in school to raise their hand with the right answer, graduated with
honors and sacrificed for the big promotion at work.
- There’s
nothing wrong with putting in the time to get things right, unless you’re
an entrepreneur.
- Entrepreneur’s
don’t have the luxury of time. After all, time is money. If you’re
spending time behind closed doors trying to get everything perfect before
you launch tomorrow, you’re missing money making opportunities today.
7. You are looking for overnight success.
- Many
people think I became a success overnight. One day I was a complete
unknown and the next I’m on Oprah with a New York Times bestseller.
- The
truth is, it took almost a decade for me to reach that level of success.
- First,
there was my failed nylon and Velcro wallet business. After my rich dad showed
my how my partners were robbing me, I had to close the business. This left
me over $800,000 in debt.
- It
was for that reason that I knew the only way I was going to get out of
such a financial hole was through entrepreneurship.
- There
was no way to pay back such a monumental amount of debt with a day job.
- low
and steady wins the race. There are no shortcuts.
8. You are a procrastinator.
- With
almost $800,000 of debt, Kim and I knew we weren’t going to break free
from our financial situation any time soon. So, we developed a plan. It
required tremendous sacrifice but we knew we would eventually get there.
- It
all started with a dedication to increasing our financial education. First
we worked to learn, then to earn.
- We
studied real estate investing and created our own businesses. No matter
how bad things got and how much we wanted to quit, we didn’t.
- We
kept our eye on the prize and looked for any opportunity to learn a new
skill that was going to help us become successful business owners.
- The
ability to take action is a vital characteristic of an entrepreneur.
9. You don’t like to sell.
- My
rich dad would often tell me that learning how to sell is the most
important characteristic of an entrepreneur.
- After
being an entrepreneur in multiple industries over the past three decades I
have to agree.
- If
you can’t sell, you can’t be an entrepreneur.
- After
I returned from Vietnam, I had a choice to make. I could get a job in the
shipping industry making very good money or take an entry-level sales job
at Xerox.
- My
rich dad recommended that I take the job at Xerox. I took it and it didn’t
take long for me to realize that I was not a natural born salesman. I
spoke with my rich dad about my struggles and he suggested fail faster.
- Rather
than find another sales job at night, I remembered some other advice from
my rich dad, namely that it’s easier to find work if you are willing to do
it for free.
- I
found a charity that needed people to dial for dollars at night. So, I
would leave my job at Xerox and put in a few hours cold calling people for
donations. I was able to increase my failure rate from three to seven
calls a day at Xerox to over 20 calls in a few hours at night.
- Though
my failure rate increased, ironically so did my success rate. The more
calls I made, the better I became at handling objections. I had no choice
but to adapt, and so will you.
Summary of What Characteristics Are Needed to be An
Entrepreneur
If you feel those statements do not accurately portrait you,
then you might have a chance of being a successful business owner someday.
If you found that many of those statements do apply to you,
don’t give up on your dream to become an entrepreneur quite yet.
Perhaps you easily get your feelings hurt with criticism or
feel like you are in need of constant praise or find you lack confidence in all
areas of your life, begin to address those issues. I have found that if I’m
weak in one area of my life it is often negatively affecting other areas as
well.
If you have tremendous odds stacked against you, and you
don’t have any other choice but to take matters into your own hands, you might
be surprised to discover just how many characteristics of an entrepreneur you
possess.

No comments:
Post a Comment